Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Another Place Another Time - Episode 7


Another Place Another Time
the serialization of the novel
Book One
Jake and Whispers
Episode Seven
“Before you get too carried away, let me point out a couple of items that I haven’t mentioned.”
“What are those, Sir?”
“First, you won’t be reducing your risk of being killed by becoming a scout dog handler. In fact, you will probably be increasing it. However, you will be working chiefly with dogs. The few people you will have to work with will be people just like yourself.”
“I understand, Sir. And I want to do it. Boy, do I ever want to do it.”
“Well, there’s one other point that might change your mind. Your active duty service commitment is two years. Because Airborne, Ranger, and Dog Handler training combined will take over six months, you’ll have to extend your service commitment by twelve months, before you can even put in your applications for the three schools. If you wash out of any of the courses, you’ll still have to serve the extra year. Are you still sure that you want to do it?”
“Yes, Sir, I want to do it more than I’ve ever wanted to do anything.”
“There are two more items you need to know, and you’d better think seriously about both of them. First, it took you sixteen weeks to finish Basic Training, and I use the word ‘finish’ loosely. That doesn’t look great in your personnel record. To be approved for Airborne and Ranger training you have to change your ways and you have to change right now. You can’t even be average for the next eight weeks of AIT, you have to be great. I know you can do it. My question is will you do it?”
“You can count on it, Sir. And, Sir, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to show me the dogs,” I blurted.
“Hold it, Leonard, let me finish. Remember, I said there were two more points. Here’s the second one. Your dog is going to become your best friend; in fact, your dog is going to become the center of your life, period. Do you understand?”
I said, “Yes, Sir, I understand. I don’t see how it could be any other way.”
“Then, here’s the last bit of information you need to know, and I promise, this is the last one. Your tour in Vietnam will end after you’ve been there twelve months. However, officially, your dog’s tour will not end.”
I almost shouted, “What? My dog won’t be coming home with me? That’s not right…”
Captain Kennedy raised his hand. I shut up and he said, “Just listen another minute.”
I nodded, remaining silent.
Captain Kennedy looked at me before continuing, “Good, that’s better. Remember what I said…your dog’s tour will not officially end. I got to know several handlers and their dogs when I was in Vietnam, and I noticed that when the handlers went home, their dogs immediately disappeared. They weren’t put down, and they weren’t assigned to different handlers; they simply disappeared. I asked their Company Clerk about it, and, he said, ‘Captain, all I can tell you is this, the dogs finished their tour and they left.’” Then he grinned and said, “And, they’re all doing fine.”
Captain Kennedy watched me closely, trying to figure out what I was thinking. Finally, seeing nothing to give away my thoughts he said, “It is clear to me, that when a man loves a dog the way handlers love their dogs, they figure out a way to get them home. I don’t know what that way is, but I do know, in my gut, that if you want to bring your dog home with you, and, Leonard, you will, there are ways to make that happen. You’ll discover those ways after you’ve been in country for a while.”
Captain Kennedy paused, and then said, “That’s the whole story, Leonard, all of it. Do you still want to do it?”
I’m sure my eyes lit up when I said, “I still want to do it more than anything in the world.”
Captain Kennedy laughed, “Remember that during the next eight weeks of Advanced Infantry Training. Then remember it two weeks later when you jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Remember it a few months from now when you’re lying in a stagnant, smelly, swamp about fifteen miles from here, and the night is so black you can’t see your hands in front of your face, and the mosquitoes sound like small airplanes, and suddenly a machine gun starts firing over your head, and artillery simulators begin exploding all round you. Remember those words then, Leonard.”
Captain Kennedy paused for a long time before he continued. “And, Leonard, remember those words when a year or so from now, you find yourself lying in a rice paddy, with your dog lying beside you, both of you too afraid to breathe because you’re alone, and there is a company of Viet Cong moving along a supply trail less than a hundred feet away from you. Remember those words then, Leonard, and stay real quiet until Charlie has cleared the area.”
I laughed. “I will Captain…I will.”
For a long time neither of us said anything, then I said, “Captain.”
“Yes, Leonard.”
“Captain, if I come home from Vietnam, my dog will come with me.”
Captain Kennedy looked at me and said, “Leonard, I never doubted it for a second.”

I post two episodes of Another Place Another Time every week

For info on receiving each episode directly to your Kindle click here

Or, if you don't wait to wait click here to purchase the complete Kindle version of the book.

Currently I'm working on The Mystic Trilogy - the first volume - The Sages - is posted weekly - click here to read the latest and all previous episodes.







1 comment:

  1. Would that there were a few more Capt. Kennedy's in this world. Love this story...and you.

    ReplyDelete